England pace-spearhead Mark Wood hopes to play in the upcoming Ashes despite being injury blow. Although he has been recovering from injury and expected to be featured in the important series against their arch-rival Australia. He will be out for the next six weeks after suffering a side strain. He got injured during their historic World Cup win over New Zealand. He is going to be missed in next week’s one-off Test against Ireland at Lord’s and the first Test against Australia which will begin on August 1 at Edgbaston. Although he is expected to be back for the last two Tests.
“I might make the last couple (of Tests). It all depends on selection,” Mark Wood told BBC 5 Live’s Sportsweek on Sunday. “Hopefully the injury will have healed by then and I’ll be back with the speed and will have played a few games for Durham.”
“My side injury is four to six weeks, so hopefully I’ll still play a part towards the end of the season, but if not it’s been a fantastic summer so far for English cricket. There’s still plenty more to go and hopefully for me there’s still a bit more cricket to play,” he said.
Mark Wood had a great show throughout the World Cup and played a key role in the final as well.
“To be honest, it’s so hard to believe,” he added. “You’d think by now it would have sunk in but to be world champions, it still gives me goosebumps listening back to it and watching it. I’m still feeling on top of the world. I know I might have an injury, but I didn’t look past the World Cup initially. I know the Ashes is round the corner but I’m over the moon that I’ve got the dream of the World Cup,” he further added.