The South African cricket team has been receiving a lot of criticism in recent times especially after the controversy involving AB de Villiers came up in the cricketing fraternity. It was revealed in a recent report that he wanted to be a part of the South African squad for World Cup 2019 but the team management declined his appeal.
According to the management, De Villiers’ offer came far too late as the final squad had already been picked and that his inclusion would have been against the rules as he did not play international or domestic cricket since May 2018 when he took the call.
The ABD episode got hyped up further, especially after the Proteas’ awful opening performance in the World Cup in which they lost their first three games. Faf du Plessis and his men lost to England by 104 runs; to Bangladesh by 21 runs and to India by 6 wickets to enter the danger zone. On Monday, the Proteas’ situation got worse after their match with the West Indies in Southampton was washed out.
SA got one consolation point after four games after the no result game against the Windies and now even if they manage to win all their remaining game, there is no guarantee for their place in the semi-finals. After the wash-out match, Faf faced a plethora of questions regarding De Villiers during the press conference. He replied, “He didn’t come to me. It’s just a conversation, a phone call the night before the team was announced. I think it’s too late.”
Faf said he told de Villiers that he would check with the selectors, but he himself realized that it was indeed too late for AB de Villiers to make a comeback. ABD said he was tired when taking the retirement call last year and despite requests from the selectors, didn’t agree to reconsider his decision.
Former Pakistani pacer Shoaib Akhtar recently lashed out at de Villiers saying he chose money over the country.