News
David Warner Fined A$1,500 For Drink Driving, Ordered To Use Vehicle Breathalyser
By CricShots - Aug 18, 2026 5:24 pm
Views 6

Former Australia opener David Warner has been fined and ordered to use a vehicle breathalyser interlock after pleading guilty to a drink-driving offence in Sydney. The 39-year-old former international cricketer appeared at Waverley Local Court on Tuesday, where Judge Clare Farnan formally convicted him and imposed a fine of A$1,500. Warner had previously pleaded guilty to a “middle range” drink-driving offence stemming from an incident in April.

David Warner
David Warner

Warner was reportedly driving a van when he stopped before reaching a random breath-testing site. He was subsequently breath-tested, arrested, and taken to a police station.

Along with the financial penalty, David Warner has been ordered to hold an interlock licence for 12 months. The condition requires him to use a breathalyser device fitted to his vehicle. The system prevents the vehicle from starting if alcohol is detected on the driver’s breath.

ALSO READ: Shubman Gill Takes DRS Gamble With One Second Left, Gets Crucial Wicket In Galle Test

Warner’s defence lawyer, Awais Ahmad, described the former batter’s decision to drive as “impaired, impulsive and frankly foolish decision-making”, according to reports. He told the court that Warner had accepted responsibility for his actions and had completed a traffic offender program following the incident.

 

The court also heard that Warner had faced significant media scrutiny over the case, including personal criticism. His lawyer acknowledged that the public attention was likely to continue following the conviction. Police reportedly told the court that Warner had consumed three glasses of wine before getting behind the wheel and driving towards his family home.

Judge Farnan warned Warner about the potential consequences of making a poor driving decision. She noted that, while the incident did not harm anyone else, it still had consequences for Warner.

WATCH – Ravichandran Ashwin Picks Temba Bavuma Over KL Rahul in Best Current Test Batters Debate

Warner left the court without speaking to reporters following the hearing. The former Australia opener retired from international cricket in 2024 after an illustrious career spanning more than a decade. He remains one of Australia’s most successful modern-era batters, having represented the country across all three formats.

The drink-driving conviction, however, has brought renewed attention to Warner away from the cricket field as he begins another chapter of his post-international career.