The veteran Australian opener, David Warner is still fighting to attain match fitness for the third Test against India in Sydney but said Saturday it was “highly doubtful” he’d be 100 percent if he did play. He was named in the squad after he sat out the first couple of Tests due to some strain in his groin and has been badly missed as Australia’s top order struggled to build partnerships.
Talking about the same during a recent media interaction, David Warner said, “We’ve got a training session today and tomorrow so I can’t give you any more indication of where I’m at. Am I going to be 100 per cent? Highly doubtful.”
After rejoining team training, Waner was confident in his batting but was still uncertain he isn’t confident of teh fact that he will be able to give 100 percent on the field in his current condition. If he does run out for Australia, he will likely replace Joe Burns who was dumped from the squad after struggling in the last two Tests.
Talking about the same opening combination, David Warner said, “If you have me and Wadey out there and we get a little bit of a sniff, the run-rate could be could be quite high, but at the end of the day it’s what the selectors go with.”
Reflecting on Australia’s lack of partnerships in the top order, Warner said Australia needs to find needed to up its urgency at the crease to tackle India’s bowling attack. Australia won the opening Test in Adelaide by eight wickets, with India leveling the series on Tuesday with an eight-wicket win in Melbourne.
Despite an outbreak of Covid-19 in Sydney, Cricket Australia has confirmed the third Test will be taking place at the SCG on January 7, with players expected to arrive on Monday. The virus cluster, which emerged earlier this month, has forced authorities to put parts of the city in lockdown and place restrictions on travel to other states.