News
ECB To Launch Social Media Review After Ollie Robinson Twitter Scandal
By SMCS - Jun 12, 2021 7:30 pm
Views 52
Share Post

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is all set to launch a “social media review” that could help in the disciplinary action following the recent Twitter incident of Ollie Robinson. The pace bowler was suspended from the game pending an investigation after his racist and sexist tweets went viral during his Test debut against New Zealand at Lord’s last week which made way back in 2012 and 2013.

Ollie Robinson
Ollie Robinson

After that, several players’ social media posts have started becoming viral and they have been scrutinised, where another player found to have posted offensive tweets while under the age of 16 as well. Apart from them, the England trio of James Anderson, Jos Buttler and Eoin Morgan had also tweeted and because of that, they all faced accusations of sharing offensive messages as well.

READ HERE: Saba Karim Reveals The Name Of Potential Candidate For India Captain

However, the ECB on Wednesday decided to look into the matter in detail. The statement said, “The board agreed to the executive’s recommendation for a social media review to address any historical issues, remind individuals of their personal responsibilities going forward, and help them learn lessons along the way.”

“The board was clear that this process would not prevent further disciplinary action in the future, should that be required, under the applicable processes, but it is hoped that the game can emerge from this difficult period stronger and determined to be more inclusive and welcoming to all,” it again shared.

Eoin Morgan
Eoin Morgan

While many believed the decision made for Robinson was a bit harsh, ECB chairman Ian Watmore has said that the board remained committed to diversity and inclusion as well.

ALSO READ: Indian Women’s Team Gets First Dose Of COVID-19 Vaccine

“As the national governing body, we must steer a path between helping individuals project an inclusive image, educating them on what is expected of them and allowing them the space to express themselves to the public. We must also investigate their actions and sanction them when they fall short,” he added.

Meanwhile, Saturday’s statement from the ECB has shared that it retained faith in the disciplinary process as well. “The board is assured that the right processes are in place to make judgements on suspensions and disciplinary actions under player employment contracts,” it concluded.