After almost a decade, Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) will be witnessing a change in their captaincy. After Virat Kohli stepped down from the leadership role and AB de Villiers announced his retirement, RCB left no stone unturned in buying the services of Faf du Plessis during the Indian Premier League (IPL) auction. Accoridng to the latest reports of InsideSport, Du Plessis has become the captain of the RCB as Glenn Maxwell will be missing the first few matches owing to national duty.
One of the sources of InsideSport in RCB said, “Faf looks the right choice but we have time to decide. We were waiting for clarity on Maxwell’s situation and availability. Now, that it looks certain that he will be missing the first few matches, Faf is the right choice.”
After wrapping up IPL 2022 auctions, RCB had three captaincy options in Glenn Maxwell, Faf du Plessis, and Dinesh Karthik. However, among the three, Faf has been a renowned name in captaincy having led South Africa successfully across all three formats.
Here are the reasons behind Faf du Plessis becoming the RCB captain:
- Faf du Plessis is the only players with the international captaincy experince after from Virat Kohli.
- A prolific in-form opener, Faf du Plessis will be walking into the playing XI without any questiosn asedk.
- Having retired from international cricket, Faf will be avauilable for teh entire IPL season.
- The other option was Glenn Maxwell who was considered at first but he will be busy for a few days owing to the national duties.
- Dinesh Karthik was the other option especially due to his inputs from behind the stumps. But under his caprtaincy, KKR failed to do much good and he eventually resigned from captaincy midway through the season in IPL 2020.
RCB are the only second team who are yet to announce their captain apart from Punjab Kings (PBKS). While the RCB source told InsideSport that they are waiting to make the official annoucnement, it has been learnt that the franchise wants to get it done as soon as possible. On that line, Faf is expected to be named as the new captain by next week. Furthermore, the franchise will have a 15-day camp starting mid-March.
IPL 2022 – Royal Challengers Bangalore full squad:
Retained: Virat Kohli (15 Cr), Glenn Maxwell (11 Cr), Mohammed Siraj (7 Cr).
RCB Auction buys: Mahipal Lomror (95 L), Finn Allen (80L), Sherfane Rutherford (1 Cr), Jason Behrendorff (75 L), Suyash Prabhudesai (30 L), Chama Milind (25 L), Aneeshwar Gautam (20 L), Karn Sharma (50 L), David Willey (2 Cr), Siddharth Kaul (75 L), Luvnith Sissodia (20 L), Faf du Plessis (7 Cr), Harshal Patel (10.75 Cr), Wanindu Hasaranga (10.75 Cr), Dinesh Karthik (5.5 Cr), Josh Hazlewood (7.75 Cr), Shahbaz Ahamed (2.4 Cr), Anuj Rawat (3.4 Cr), Akash Deep (20 L)