In the 14th game of IPL 2018, hosts Mumbai Indians (MI) clinched a big 46-run victory against Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) at Wankhede Stadium (Mumbai) on April 17, 2018.
RCB decided to field first after winning the toss. Mumbai Indians managed to put a big total of 213/6 on the board at the end of 20 overs.
In reply, Bangalore managed to score only 167/8 in 20 overs as MI won this game by 46 runs.
Brief Scores: MI – 213/6 in 20 overs (Rohit Sharma 94, Evin Lewis 65, Umesh Yadav 2/36)
RCB – 167/8 in 20 overs (Virat Kohli 92*, Quinton de Kock 19, Krunal Pandya 3/28)
Result – MI won by 46 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) MI lost their first two wickets in the first two balls of the match.
- In the IPL history, it was the second time when a team lost their two wickets in the first two balls of a match. The first time it happened in the IPL history during the IPL 2011 match between Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) at Mohali on April 13, 2011, where CSK had lost their first two wickets in the first two balls of that game.
ii) MI batsmen Evin Lewis and Rohit Sharma put a remarkable 108-run partnership for the third wicket.
- MI’s second highest IPL partnership for the third wicket against any team. The record is 132 runs partnership between Rohit Sharma and Dinesh Karthik against Delhi Daredevils on April 9, 2013.
- MI’s third highest IPL partnership for any wicket against Bangalore based team.
MI’s top IPL partnerships for any wicket against RCB
iii) MI skipper Rohit Sharma scored 94 runs.
- Highest IPL knock by an MI batsman against RCB. The previous record holder was Ambati Rayudu with 81* at Bengaluru on May 14, 2012.
- The second highest IPL knock by a captain against the Kohli led team. The record is 106 runs by Adam Gilchrist (Kings XI Punjab) at Dharamsala on May 17, 2011.
- Third highest IPL knock by any MI captain.
Top IPL knocks by MI captains
iv) MI scored 213/6 in 20 overs.
- Highest IPL total for MI against RCB. The previous record was 209/7 (20 overs) at Bengaluru on April 19, 2015.
- Third highest IPL total for MI against any team.
Top IPL totals for MI
v) At the end of this match, RCB skipper Virat Kohli has scored 4,619 runs in IPL career.
- Most runs in IPL career by any batsman. Kohli surpassed Suresh Raina’s record that has scored 4,558 runs in his IPL career.
vi) At the end of this match, Virat Kohli has scored total 5,018 runs for RCB.
- The first player to score 5,000 or more T20 runs for a team.
vii) RCB skipper Virat Kohli was not out on 92 runs during chasing.
- Highest IPL knocks for a captain in an unsuccessful chasing. The previous record holder was 89 by former Kings XI Punjab captain Murali Vijay against RCB at Chandigarh on May 9, 2016.
- Joint second highest knock for RCB against MI in IPL history.
Top IPL knocks by RCB batsmen against MI
viii) MI left-arm spinner Krunal Pandya had the bowling figure 4-0-28-3.
- The second best IPL bowling figure by an MI spinner against RCB. The record is 4-0-27-3 by Harbhajan Singh at Bengaluru on April 19, 2015.
ix) MI pacer Jasprit Bumrah has now 51 IPL wickets after this game. He took two wickets (2/28) in this match.
- Fifth MI bowler to claim 50+ IPL wickets. The first four MI players to achieve this feat are Lasith Malinga (154 wickets), Harbhajan Singh (127 wickets), Mitchell McClenaghan (57 wickets) and Kieron Pollard (56 wickets).
x) Mi won by 46 runs.
- Third largest IPL victory (by runs) for MI against RCB.
Largest IPL victories for MI against RCB