In the 49th game of IPL 2018, the hosts Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) claimed a comfortable 6-wicket victory (with 12 balls remaining) against Rajasthan Royals at Eden Gardens (Kolkata).
KKR captain Dinesh Karthik sent the visitors to bat first after winning the toss. Despite RR had a stormy start, they were bowled out for just 142 runs in 19 overs due to their massive middle-order batting failure.
In reply, KKR comfortably chased down that target in 18 overs after losing four wickets.
Brief Scores: RR – 142 in 19 overs (Jos Buttler 39, Rahul Tripathi 27, Kuldeep Yadav 4/20)
KKR – 145/4 in 18 overs (Chris Lynn 45, Dinesh Karthik 41*, Jos Buttler 3/15)
Result – KKR won by 6 wickets
Also read: Match 49 (KKR vs RR) – Hits and Flops
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) RR openers Rahul Tripathi and Jos Buttler put a 63-run partnership for the opening wicket
- The second highest opening partnership for RR against KKR in the IPL history. The record is the 80-run partnership between Shane Watson and Ajinkya Rahane at Mumbai on May 16, 2015.
ii) RR batsman Jos Buttler has scored 548 runs in IPL 2018.
- The second most runs scored by an RR batsman in an IPL season. The record is 560 runs by Ajinkya Rahane in IPL 2012.
iii) RR was bowled out for just 142 runs in 19 overs.
- The second time in IPL history when KKR bowled out RR. The first such incident was also at Kolkata on April 17, 2011, when RR was bundled out for just 81 runs (15.2 overs).
- The second lowest total for any team against KKR in the IPL 2018. The lowest one is 129 (14.2 overs) by Delhi Daredevils at Kolkata on April 16.
Also read: Match 49 (KKR vs RR) – Reasons for loss
iv) KKR left-arm chinaman bowler Kuldeep Yadav had an impressive bowling figure of 4-0-20-4.
- Best IPL bowling figure by a chinaman bowler. The previous best was 4-0-29-4 by Brad Hogg (Kolkata Knight Riders) against Chennai Super Kings at Kolkata on April 30, 2015.
- Best IPL bowling figure in the matches between KKR and RR. The previous record was 4-0-23-4 by Chris Morris (RR) at Mumbai (Brabourne Stadium) on May 16, 2015.
- The second best bowling figure in IPL 2018. The record is 4-0-14-5 by Ankit Rajpoot (Kings XI Punjab) against Sunrisers Hyderabad at Hyderabad (Deccan) on April 26.
v) KKR wicketkeeper Dinesh Karthik involved in four dismissals in this game.
- Joint second most no. of dismissals for a wicketkeeper in an IPL match. The record is 5 dismissals by Kumar Sangakkara (Deccan Chargers) against Royal Challengers Bangalore at Hyderabad on April 14, 2011.
Also read: (KKR vs RR) – Turning Point of the Match
vi) KKR opening batsman Sunil Narine scored 21 runs in the opening over of their innings.
- Joint most runs scored by a batsman in the opening over of an IPL innings. Earlier, Naman Ojha (RR) scored 21 runs in the opening over of an IPL innings against KKR at Durban on May 20, 2009.
vii) RR pacer Ben Stokes bowled a maiden over in this match.
- First RR bowler to bowl a maiden over in IPL 2018.
- Eighth bowler in IPL 2018 to bowl a maiden over.