News
IPL Franchises Eye Investment In The Hundred, informs Mark Nicholas
By CricShots - Jun 19, 2024 11:48 am
Views 22

According to the recent developments, the cricketing fraternity is pleasantly surprised to see five IPL franchises have expressed a soft interest in acquiring a stake in London Spirit, the Lord’s-based team competing in the Hundred tournament. This exciting development comes from MCC president Mark Nicholas, who is poised to become chairman in October.

the hundred
 The Hundred

Mark Nicholas’ announcement coincides with the planning stages for the inaugural World Cricket Connects symposium, an MCC initiative designed to foster dialogue among cricket’s influential figures. Scheduled for July 5th, the symposium aims to chart a course for the sport’s global success and provide a platform for stakeholders to discuss its future.

This potential investment by IPL franchises underscores the growing popularity of franchise-based cricket and its potential for international expansion. The England and Wales Cricket Board’s (ECB) proposal to privatize The Hundred offers a unique opportunity. Each of the eight host teams, including London Spirit, would retain a 51% stake, with the remaining 49% available for private investors through a bidding process.

ALSO READ: Ahmed Shehzad Backs Gary Kirsten’s Comments On Pakistan Team Cohesion Issues

“We’re putting it to a vote to accept the ECB’s offer for a 51% share of this franchise,” explained Mark Nicholas, as reported by ESPNcricinfo. “While we’ll always be a members’ club, membership harmony is paramount. Activism can yield valuable insights, so respectful dialogue is crucial.”

Nicholas emphasizes the importance of securing the support of MCC’s 24,000-strong membership before accepting the ECB’s offer. He views private investment as a pivotal step that will ultimately benefit cricket’s growth at all levels.

Mark Nicholas
Mark Nicholas

“We missed out on capitalizing on T20 in 2003. India recognized the potential sooner and acted smarter,” Mark Nicholas reflects. “They excel at making things happen quickly. The Hundred presents another chance. Our members value being part of the conversation, not relegated to the past. They’re enthusiastic about having a team and the accompanying opportunities, both financial and through potential equity growth or sale.”

The ECB has appointed Raine Group and Deloitte to oversee The Hundred’s privatization process. While a formal deadline isn’t set, finalizing terms by year-end is a priority.

ALSO READ: Haris Rauf Responds To Fan Spat After Pakistan’s T20 World Cup Exit

“There are still many uncertainties,” Mark Nicholas acknowledges. “The bidding process details and the rollout plan for these franchises remain unclear. The ECB hasn’t disclosed this information yet, and even the investment bank might not have all the answers. There’s much to learn.”

This potential investment by IPL franchises signifies a new era for cricket. The Hundred’s privatization, coupled with the growing interest from established leagues like the IPL, paves the way for a more globalized and financially vibrant cricketing landscape. The coming months will be crucial as details regarding the bidding process and franchise ownership structures are ironed out.