The fourth One Day International (ODI) match between India and South Africa will be special for hosts South Africans, as it’s scheduled to be a ‘Pink ODI’. The match will be played on February 10 at the Wanderers, Johannesburg.
The history of ‘Pink ODI’ states that it has been played to raise awareness about breast cancer and for the benefit of those suffering from such a life-threatening disease. It was first held in 2011, and this will be the sixth such occasion.
Also read: ABD makes a comeback
In South Africa, ‘Pink ODI’ is considered one of the must-attend occasions on the domestic sports calendar. For ‘Pink ODI’ at the Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg, the fans are strongly encouraged to come decked out in pink attire to show their support for breast cancer awareness.
— AB De Villiers FC🆎 (@devilliers17fc) February 9, 2018
Here are some interesting facts related to ‘Pink ODI’: –
- The Proteas will play ‘Pink ODI’ in their unique pink jersey.
- The Proteas have never lost a ‘Pink ODI’ and will hope to replicate that in the fourth game.
- SA’s former skipper AB de Villiers, who is back after injury for the 4th ODI, holds some interesting records while playing in a pink jersey. In 2015, he effectively beat the West Indies as he smashed 149 off 44 balls. In the same match, he also broke the record of fastest ODI century as he crossed the three-figure mark in just 31 balls that day.
- This year’s ‘Pink ODI’ is about the massive drive to collect money for is the Breast Cancer Clinic at the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital.
- The goal is to raise more than ₹1 million.
- The hashtag #PitchUpInPink will be used to get South Africans into the spirit of the occasion.
— Cricket South Africa (@OfficialCSA) February 9, 2018
The hosts are already three-nil down in the six-match series‚ the South Africans will be looking to change the fortunes. The Indian cricket team needs just one more win in order to create history by winning the ODI series in the rainbow nation for the first time ever.
Also read: De Villiers praises Indian pacers
In the previous three ODI, the visitors have completely outplayed the hosts as their winning margins were too huge. Indian skipper, Virat Kohli was the pick of the batsmen whereas on the bowling terms Yuzvendra Chahal has picked 12 wickets in the series so far.