England pacer Ollie Robinson has been cleared to play international cricket after being banned from playing international cricket after his old tweets started surfing on the internet. He posted those tweets when teenager, which were racist and sexist in nature. A Cricket Discipline Commission (CDS) revealed this news on Saturday.
Robinson is handed a fine of 3,200 pounds ($4,400) along with an eight-match ban, five of which are suspended for two years. He made his debut in international cricket during England vs New Zealand Lord’s Test in June. He missed the following Test match against New Zealand and two T20 Blast games for his county during the investigation period, which will be considered as the other three games of his suspension.
Thus, Robinson is free to resume playing cricket with immediate effects.
Earlier, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) suspended him from playing the international games while, later on, he withdrew his name from selection for his county Essex for the T20 games.
Robinson has admitted breaching two ECB directives with his old tweets which he posted on Twitter during 2012-14. Those tweets started surfing on the internet on the day he made his Test debut against New Zealand in Lord’s Test.
“I fully accept the CDC’s decision. As I have said previously, I’m incredibly embarrassed and ashamed about the tweets I posted many years ago and apologise unreservedly for their contents,” Robinson said in a statement.
“I am deeply sorry for the hurt I caused to anyone who read those tweets and in particular to those people to whom the messages caused offence. This has been the most difficult time in my professional career for both my family and myself. Whilst I want to move on, I do want to use my experience to help others in the future through working with the (Professional Cricketers’ Association).”