It was a whitewash in the series for Sri Lanka. After an early exit from the Champions Trophy, they suffered a blow against Zimbabwe. But their woes didn’t end there. India thrashed them on the test, ODI, and T20I series in all the games.
The last nail in the coffin was the lone T20I when India clinched in a 7 wickets victory over Sri Lanka. Captain Virat Kohli led the team from the front and played blazing innings of 82 runs. Manish Pandey’s unbeaten fifty too came up in good times and the 119-run stand for the 3rd wicket.
Here are some of the statistics from the match:
- Virat Kohli has scored four consecutive fifty plus scores against Sri Lanka in T20Is. He has the same record against Australia as well. No other player holds the record of fifty plus scores in more than three innings in the shortest format of the game.
- Virat Kohli now received six Man Of The Series Awards in the shortest formats of the game.
- He has 10 Man Of The Match awards to his name which is second highest in the T20s after Shahid Afridi who has almost 11.
- This is Lanka’s 12th loss in T20I cricket at the RPS Stadium in Colombo. These are the joint 2nd most number of losses for a team at a venue in T20Is.
- Dilshan Munaweera’s 26-ball fifty is the 2nd fastest by a Sri Lankan player in T20I cricket against India after Sangakarra’s21 ball fifty in Nagpur in 2009.
- Virat Kohli’s 82 is the highest individual score for an Indian captain. Earlier Raina had the highest runs in the only game of T20I that he had captained for team India.
- Virat Kohli’s 82-run knock is the 2nd highest score in a successful run-chase for a captain in T20I cricket.
- The 119 run partnership between Virat Kohli and Manish Pandey is the is the highest for India while chasing in T20Is surpassing the previous 101 partnership between MS Dhoni and KL Rahul.
- 1016 runs by Virat Kohli while chasing in T20I cricket is the most by any player. He went past Brendon McCullum (1006) during this innings.