According to the recent reports, the disgraced Australian cricketer, Steve Smith’s surgery for an elbow injury went “very well” and he remains on track for the Cricket World Cup in England. His one-year ban for ball-tampering expires in late March and last month, he has to drop out of the Bangladesh Premier League with the ligament problem.
Smith went through a surgery and he is currently in a brace. Smith’s manager Warren Craig told the Cricket Australia website late Wednesday the surgery had “gone very well”. He said, “Until the brace comes off we don’t know for sure but all current opinion is that he’ll then have about three-and-a-half weeks (before being ready to play). The intent is that he will play in the IPL (Indian Premier League) and then the World Cup and then the Ashes.”
ALSO READ: Steve Smith To Miss World Cup 2019 As Well?
Craig’s came in the backdrop of rubbish reports which came earlier that Smith may miss the ICC World Cup 2019 and return to cricket through Australia A tour of England that coincides with the showpiece tournament that begins in late May.
Smith and David Warner will be eligible to play international selection again on March 29 after serving year-long bans for their part in attempting to alter the ball during a Test against South Africa.
Warner also returned home from Bangladesh to have an injured elbow assessed, but it is not believed to be as serious as Smith’s. He was due to undergo minor surgery in late January.
On Monday, the Australian Test skipper Tim Paine said that both of them to play “a huge” role in this year’s Ashes series against England. Without the experienced pair, Australia has been struggling, although they ended their summer on a high with a 2-0 series win over Sri Lanka.
Paine described, “We know how good they are and hopefully once their bans are up they’ll be welcomed back and they will win Test matches as they did before.”