News
Steve Smith Will Not Challenge CA’s Sanctions
By CricShots - Apr 4, 2018 7:43 am
Views 41

Amidst of the consistent questions of relating to challenging the sanctions of Cricket Australia (CA) on the tainted trio of Australia skipper Steve Smith, deputy David Warner and Cameron Bancroft after they were involved in tampering the ball during the Cape Town Test against South Africa, Smith has made it clear that he will not challenge the punishment.

steve
Steve Smith, David Warner, and Cameron Bancroft

Taking to Twitter, Smith wrote: “I would give anything to have this behind me and be back representing my country. But I meant what I said about taking full responsibility as Captain of the team. I won’t be challenging the sanctions. They’ve been imposed by CA to send a strong message and I have accepted them.”

However, on Tuesday, the Australian cricketers’ union said that the bans on Smith, Warner and Bancroft should be reduced, arguing the punishment was disproportionate to previous ball-tampering cases. Warner and Smith are barred to played international and domestic cricket for 12 months and Bancroft for nine months.

Also read: Australia’s players’ union Demands To Reduce Smith and Warner’s Suspension 

All three players have accepted their mistakes and apologized for the same as well during the emotional press conferences after being kicked off the tour and returning home last week. Commenting n the same, Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) president Greg Dyer said: “These proposed penalties are disproportionate relative to precedent.”

 

Smith gathered a lot of sympathetic comments after his heart-wrenching public apology on Thursday, in which he broke down in tears. Talking about the same, Dyer said, “Their distressed faces have sent a message across the globe as effective as any sanctions could be. I think Australia cried with Steve Smith last Thursday, I certainly did. We consider that the players need to return to domestic cricket earlier and as part of their rehabilitation.”

×