On Sunday night, India clinched a comfortable victory against Windies in the first ODI of five-match ODI series at Barsapara Cricket Stadium (Guwahati) and has taken a 1-0 lead in the ODI series.
Indian skipper Virat Kohli decided to field first after winning the toss. With the help of young Shimron Hetmyer’s brilliant century knock (106), Windies put a challenging total of 322/8 on the board at the end of 50 overs.
In reply, India reached the target comfortably in 42.1 overs after losing only two wickets, thanks to twin centuries by the opener Rohit Sharma (152) and the skipper Virat Kohli (140).
Brief Score: Windies – 322/8 in 50 overs (Shimron Hetmyer 106, Kieron Powell 51; Yuzvendra Chahal 3/41)
India – 326/2 in 42.1 overs (Rohit Sharma 152*, Virat Kohli 140; Devendra Bishoo 1/72)
Result – India won by 8 wickets
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) Windies scored 322/8 at the end of 50 overs.
- Fourth highest ODI total for Windies against India.
Top ODI totals for Windies against India
- Fifth highest ODI total for Windies on the Indian soil.
Top ODI totals for Windies on the Indian soil
Also read: More first innings stats of the match
ii) Indian batsmen Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli put a 246-run partnership for the second wicket.
- The second highest second-wicket ODI partnership on the Indian soil. The record is the 331-run partnership for the second-wicket between the Indian batsmen Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid against New Zealand at Hyderabad (Deccan) on November 8, 1999.
- The second highest partnership for the second wicket in the second innings of an ODI match. The record is 252* between Shane Watson and Ricky Ponting (Australia) against England at Centurion on October 2, 2009.
- The third highest ODI partnership for any wicket against Windies.
Top ODI partnerships for any wicket against Windies
iii) Indian skipper Virat Kohli scored his 14th ODI century as captain.
- The second most centuries scored by an ODI captain as he surpassed the former South African captain AB de Villiers (13 ODI centuries as captain). The record holder is Ricky Ponting (Australia/ICC World XI) with 22 ODI centuries as captain.
iv) Indian skipper Virat Kohli scored 140 runs.
- Highest runs scored as an ODI captain against Windies in the second innings of an ODI match. The previous record was 112 by Alastair Cook (England) at The Oval on June 19, 2012.
- Highest runs scored as an Indian captain in the second innings of an ODI match. The previous record was 139* by Virat Kohli at Ranchi on November 16, 2014.
- The second highest ODI runs scored by an Indian captain against Windies. The record is 219 by Virender Sehwag at Indore on December 8, 2011.
v) Indian opener Rohit Sharma played his sixth 150+ knock in ODI career.
- Most number of ODI 150+ knocks played by a batsman. The second in this list are Sachin Tendulkar (India) and David Warner (Australia) with five each.
vi) Indian opener Rohit Sharma scored 152*.
- Highest second innings knock in an ODI match by any batsman against Windies. The previous record was 141*by Johnny Bairstow (England) at Southampton on September 29, 2017.
- The second highest knock by an Indian opener in the second innings of an ODI match. The record is 175 by Sachin Tendulkar against Australia at Hyderabad (Deccan) on November 5, 2009.
vii) India successfully chased the 323-run target.
- India’s second successful target chase against Windies in ODI history. The record is successfully chasing 325-run target at Ahmedabad on November 15, 2002.