India clinched an easy and dominating victory against Windies in the first Test of two-match Test series at Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium (Rajkot).
After winning the toss, Indian skipper Virat Kohli decided to bat first. With the help of three centuries, India managed to score 649/9 before declaring that innings.
In reply, Windies was bowled out for just 181 runs as they were 468 runs behind from India’s first innings total. Windies was forced to follow-on and they were again bundled out for just 196 runs as India won by an innings and 272 runs.
Brief Scores: India – 649/9 decl. (Virat Kohli 139, Prithvi Shaw 134; Devendra Bishoo 4/217)
Windies – 181 (Roston Chase 53, Keemo Paul 47; Ravichandran Ashwin 4/37) & 196 (Kieran Powell 83, Roston Chase 20; Kuldeep Yadav 5/57)
Result – India won by an innings and 272 runs
Some important stats of day 3 of Rajkot Test between India and Windies
i) Windies managed to score 377 runs on aggregate in this Test match.
- Fifth lowest completed on aggregate total for Windies against India in a Test match on the Indian soil.
Five lowest completed on aggregate totals for Windies in a Test match on the Indian soil
Also read: The Day 1 stats of The Rajkot Test
ii) During Windies’ second innings, the Indian left-arm chinaman bowler Kuldeep Yadav had a bowling figure of 14-2-57-5.
- Yadav’s maiden five-wicket haul in Test career and third five-wicket haul in the international cricket career. In every international cricket formats (Test, ODI and T20I), Yadav has claimed the five-wicket haul for once. As Yadav claimed all the five-wicket hauls in international cricket in 2018, he becomes the first ever bowler to claim at least one five-wicket haul in each of three international cricket formats (Test, ODI and T20I) in a calendar year.
iii) India won this Test by an innings and 272 runs.
- The largest Test victory (by an innings) for the Indian cricket team. Their previous record was winning by an innings and 262 runs against Afghanistan at Bengaluru on 2018.
- It was India’s 100th Test victory at home. India is now the fourth team to win 100 or more Test matches at home. The other three teams are Australia (238 Tests), England (217 Tests) and South Africa (104 Tests)
iv) Windies lost this Test by an innings and 272 runs.
- The second largest Test defeat (by an innings) for Windies. Their record Test defeat was losing by an innings and 283 runs against England at Leeds in 2007.
Also read: The Day 2 stats of The Rajkot Test
v) Indian debutant cricketer Prithvi Shaw won the Player of the Match award.
- Sixth Indian cricketer to win the Player of the Match award in his debutant Test match.
Indian cricketers who won Player of the Match award in their debutant Test matches
vi) It was India’s 14th Test victory at home under Virat Kohli’s captaincy.
- The second most home Test winning captain from the Indian cricket team. While Kohli surpassed Mohammad Azharuddin’s 13 home Test victories record as captain, MS Dhoni has the record of 21 home Test victories as captain.