News
BCCI To Cut Down Opening Ceremonies From Upcoming IPL Season?
By CricShots - Nov 6, 2019 2:16 pm
Views 172

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to scrap the IPL opening ceremony, the Bollywood-style extravaganza that previously cost close to ₹30 crores. This was one of the key decisions taken by the IPL governing council on Monday. In another move, it was decided that the league will henceforth have the fourth umpire to focus only on no-balls.

IPL
IPL opening ceremony

Speaking to The Indian Express, a BCCI official said: “The opening ceremonies are a waste of money. The cricket fans don’t seem to be interested, and the performers have to be paid a lot.”

Over the years, a number of Bollywood stars and international pop stars, like Katy Perry, Akon and Pit Bull, have performed at IPL opening ceremonies amid over the top fireworks and laser shows.

ALSO READ: Adam Gilchrist Expects Day/Night Test Between India and Australia

Talking about the no-ball decision, the official said: “Last season, several players were given out and later recalled when replays showed the bowlers had overstepped. The idea is to reduce errors and controversies.”

Lasith Malinga
Lasith Malinga

It was also learned that the much-hyped ‘Power Player’ concept of implementing substitutions during IPL matches was shelved for the time being as the project can’t be piloted during the upcoming Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (National T20), starting later this week.

ALSO READ: Extra Umpire Will Check No-balls in IPL 2020?

The GC headed by Brijesh Patel met at the cricket headquarters to discuss a slew of issues including FTP window, availability of foreign players, FTP of Team India and the possibility of franchises playing friendlies abroad. However, the major point of discussion was to have an exclusive umpire to check on the contentious front-foot and height no balls.

The next IPL auction will be held in Kolkata on December 19.

×