The Indian Premier League (IPL) has already been suspended till April 15, and the uncertainty surrounding the 13th edition of the tournament reached a different level on Tuesday. The BCCI has postponed the scheduled conference call with the franchise owners which was to discuss a way forward amid the COVID-19 pandemic. India’s money-spinner is moving towards the possibility of cancellation due to the deadly outbreak, which has led to more than 16,000 deaths globally.
Talking about the same, KXIP co-owner, Ness Wadia said, India, which has reported over 400 cases and nine deaths so far, is in a lockdown till March 31 to contain the pandemic….humanity first, everything else comes second. The situation has not improved so there is no point in even talking about it. If IPL doesn’t happen so be it. There is no point in discussing anything at this point. The whole country is in lockdown. We have to deal with matters much more important than IPL.”
The star-studded eight-team tournament was originally scheduled to start on March 29 in Mumbai but looks set for a cancellation given the current crisis.
Describing the same, Wadia further added, “I can’t even think about the IPL at this point. It is irrelevant along with everything else. The only thing which is relevant is in what we are living in and it is a world war three situation where we are fighting to help so many people. The government has taken decisive steps. We often criticize the government but for the proactive steps, they have taken we should applaud them. A country as big as India has suspended all flights. That is a very massive and positive step.”
However, the BCCI is delaying the announcement hoping the things to improve in upcoming future.
Describing the same, a BCCI official said, “If Olympics can be postponed by a year, IPL is a much smaller entity in that regard. It is becoming increasingly difficult to organise. At this point, the government is not even thinking about allowing foreign visas.”