The New Zealand tour of UAE finally ended after the completion of the three-match Test series against Pakistan. After failing to win both the limited-overs series in this tour (lost the three-match T20I series by 3-0 and drew the three-match ODI series by 1-1), New Zealand finally created a history in this tour by winning the Test series with the 2-1 margin.
Now, at the end of the three-match Test series between Pakistan and New Zealand in UAE, we are looking at some important stats review related that.
Match results: (Series result: New Zealand won by 2-1)
First Test at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi (16-20 November): New Zealand won by 4 runs
Second Test at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai (24-28 November): Pakistan won by an innings and 16 runs
Third Test at Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium, Abu Dhabi (3-7 December): New Zealand won by 123 runs
Important stats review of this series:
(For New Zealand)
- Since 2008, it was the first time when New Zealand won a Test series on the Asian soil. In 2008, New Zealand beat the hosts Bangladesh in the two-match (1-0) Test series.
- Since 1969, it was the first time when New Zealand won a Test series against Pakistan on the Asian soil. During 1969, New Zealand achieved this feat for the first time when they beat Pakistan in Pakistan in the three-match (1-0) Test series.
- Since July-August 2016, it was the first time for New Zealand to win a Test series outside the home soil. In between this period, New Zealand lost their two away Test series in South Africa (August 2016) and India (September-October 2016).
- New Zealand now has won their three consecutive Test series. Since 2013 and 2014, it is their first time to win more than the two consecutive Test series. New Zealand has never won more than three consecutive Test series.
- New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson scored 386 runs in this Test series. Most runs scored by a New Zealand batsman in a three-match Test series on the Asian soil. The previous record holder was Brendon McCullum who had scored 370 runs during New Zealand had a tour of India in 2010/11.
- New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson scored 386 runs in this Test series. Third most run-scorer as a captain in the Test series in UAE. The top two record holders in this list are the former English captain Alastair Cook (450 runs in 2015) and former Sri Lankan captain Angelo Mathews (412 runs in 2013/14).
- Pakistan leg-spinner Yasir Shah picked up a total of 29 wickets in this Test series. Playing maximum a three-match Test series, Shah became the joined second most wicket-taking bowler for Pakistan (levelling Waqar Younis’ 29 wickets in the three-match Test series in 1990 against New Zealand in Pakistan). The record is taking 30 wickets (three-match Test series) by Abdul Qadir against England in Pakistan in 1987.
Also watch: Yasir Shah Gets Run-out in The Most Unusual Way
- Since October 2016, Pakistan hasn’t won two consecutive Test matches in the same series. In between this period, Pakistan was able to win two consecutive Tests only once in this May but those were against Ireland and England respectively.
- Last time, Pakistan won two consecutive Test series in 2015. Since 2016, they haven’t seen yet their two consecutive Test series victories.