Partner after partner, no not in real life but in the cricket world keeps on building and is talked about. But some pairs are just made in heaven (sorry for being dramatic) but yes these pairs gives us goals. Such a dreamy pair that world ever has produced was Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly!
And, when you speak Tendulkar and Ganguly as a pair, you automatically think 50-over cricket, don’t you? And why wouldn’t you? They are the most successful 50-over association in world cricket, 8227 runs in 176 innings at 47.55, with 26 stands in excess of 100 and 29 others between 50 and 99.
Let’s have a look at the records of these two giants.
Sachin Tendulkar – Right-hand Mumbai Maestro.
Sourav Ganguly – Left hand Bengal tiger.
- Total runs made between these openers is 8277 with an average of almost 48!
Man of the match: 56 awards to Sachin Tendulkar (the most) and 31 for Sourav Ganguly (3rd most).
- Highest partnership totals: 258 (vs Kenya), 252 (vs SL), 244 (vs Namibia), 197 (vs Zimbabwe), 193 (vs South Africa), 175 (vs Australia).
- The first time Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly opened for India, was at Bloemfontein – 23rd January 1997. Sachin was himself the captain, and Ganguly was chosen as his partner because he batted left-handed! Sachin made 0 that day-night match against South Africa, but Ganguly went on to impress with 40 of 64 and the rest was history.
- Only 9 runouts have occurred between this best opening pair of one-day International cricket.
- They as opening partners have scored most number of tons. 41 for Tendulkar & 22 for Ganguly. 20-century partnerships for the opening pair is a world record.
- Sachin Tendulkar with Sourav Ganguly holds the world record for the maximum number of runs scored by the opening partnership. They have put together 6,609 runs in 136 matches that include 21-century partnerships and 23 fifty run partnerships.
Sourav said about his opening partner, “These were the moments of my career I always cherish. My batting with Sachin in one-day internationals at the top was a huge learning experience.”
Sachin too couldn’t hold back but said,”We had terrific partnerships. there were tough moments too in the middle when we discussed how and what to do to get out of the tight situations”
When they batted together they looked like a soul or rather two doppelgangers destroying the bowling attack of oppositions. They were best and will be forever!