40 contracted players of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) have written a letter to the board indicating that they are not willing to travel to Lahore for the last T20I against Pakistan scheduled for later this month.
It has been learned that the letter signed by the entire current squad and contracted players back home. They don’t directly say that they do not want to go to Pakistan but has requested the board to consider a venue change.
As per the reports of Cricbuzz, one of their sources said, “SLC will have a quick chat to the players very soon. We don’t intend to disturb them in middle of a series, but we are left with no option but to address the issue. The ICC also will meet the players on Saturday to brief them about the situation in Lahore.”
However, all-rounder Thisara Perera hasn’t signed the letter as he was part of the World XI side that played three-T20I series in Lahore last month.
Pakistan was banned to host international matches after the Sri Lankan team bus came under a terrorist attack in 2009, outside Gadaffi Stadium in Lahore, injuring several players and support staff.
There is still a possibility that the Lahore game could be played if SLC decides to send a second string team. The sources said, “We are looking at all possibilities. Pakistan has been one our closest allies and we don’t want to let them down.”