On Sunday, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) went on to confirms that the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) will be held in the UAE from September 19. The IPL 2020, which was initially postponed due to the increasing cases of the coronavirus pandemic, will have a 53-day window and the final is scheduled to be played on November 10.
The IPL Governing Council had a meeting on Sunday where they discussed the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for the tournament as it will be happening outside the country for the 3rd time in its history. IPL 2020 will be played across all 3 venues — Dubai, Abu Dhabi, and Sharjah — in the UAE, which will be hosting the tournament for the 2nd time. UAE hosted initial matches of the IPL 2014 as the tournament was moved out of India due to Assembly Elections.
The postponement of the T20 World Cup and Asia Cup gave sufficient window to the BCCI to host the cash-rich T20 league.
The Governing Council also gave a go ahead to the Women’s T20 Challenge — a three-team mini women’s IPL which is scheduled to be played in the UAE between November 1 and 10. Informing the same, BCCI president Sourav Ganguly said, ahead of the meeting, that the contracted players of the senior women’s team will also have a national camp in the lead up to the T20 tournament.
10 major takeaways IPL governing council meeting:
- IPL 2020 is scheduled to be taking place between September 19 and November 10 in the UAE. The final is being held on a Tuesday before the Diwali weekend.
- All evening matches in IPL 2020 will be commencing a new start time — 7:30 pm IST. Afternoon matches from 3:30 pm IST, 10 doubleheaders over 53 days.
- IPL teams to leave for the UAE only after August 26. Each team has been allowed to take maximum of 24 players in their squad.
- Unlimited Covid-19 replacements will be allowed in IPL 2020.
- No crowd will be allowed at UAE stadiums initially. From the midway point, if UAE gvernment allws, limited number of fans might be allowed at the venues.
- All players, be it Indian stars or overseas recruits, will be traveling throughchartered planes.
- Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs) document for IPL 2020 is beeing prepared with consultation fromspecialist firms. Plans for the creation of bio-secure bubbles being done in consultation with a specialist firm.
- Top medical professionals from leading hospitals and institutions have been roped in to handle the part of the medical protocol of the SOPs.
- BCCI has decied to retain alll major sponsors in the IPL 2020, including Chinese sponsors.
- Women’s T20 Challenge gets approval. 3-team tournament to be held between November 1 and 10 in the UAE. 4 matches will be played during IPL playoffs week.