During the IPL 2019 Auction, Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) stunned everyone when they bagged the uncapped 27-year-old mystery spinner Varun Chakaravarthy for the joint most expensive figure in this season’s auction – INR 8.40 crore.
When his turn came during the IPL 2019 Auction, Delhi Capital (DC) put the opening bid on his base price of INR 20 lakh. Chennai Super Kings (CSK), Rajasthan Royals (RR) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) also fought for this uncapped player but KXIP won that long battle.
Varun is an architect. At one stage, he left the game to pursue the architecture career but later he decided to return to the game.
Here are some important facts about Varun Chakaravarthy’s cricketing career:
- The 27-year-old Varun Chakaravarthy is a right-handed batsman and mystery spinner. He plays as the legbreak googly specialist. He plays the domestic cricket for Tamil Nadu.
- Varun is famously known as mystery spinner as he can bowl seven variations – the offbreak, legbreak, googly, carrom ball, flipper, top-spinner and slider.
- Cricketing Idol: Anil Kumble.
- Initially, Varun was a wicketkeeper-batsman. Later, he served as a fast bowler but when his knees had been affected due to heavy workload, he has chosen to become the mystery spinner.
- During IPL 2018, Varun was the net bowler of Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).
- Playing for Madurai Super Giant in Tamil Nadu Premier League 2018 (TNPL 2018), Varun picked up nine wickets in 10 matches with the average of 20.88 and the economy rate of 4.70.
- Varun made his List A debut during this season’s Vijay Hazare Trophy. The Tamil Nadu mystery spinner played his first List A game against Gujarat at Chennai on 20 September 2018. He has played nine List A games where he has picked up 22 wickets with the bowling average of 16.68 and the economy rate of 4.23.
- In the 2018/19 Vijay Hazare Trophy, Varun finished as the second leading wicket-taker after picking up 22 wickets in nine games.
- Varun has played the only first-class match where he has picked up the only wicket. The Tamil Nadu mystery spinner made his first-class debut in the ongoing Ranji Trophy season (2018/19) when he featured during the game between Tamil Nadu and Hyderabad at Tirunelveli in this November.