The 18-year-old Punjab wicketkeeper-batsman Prabhsimran Singh has come into the limelight after he was picked by Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) for the IPL 2019 as they bought him for INR 4.8 crore in the IPL 2019 Auction.
Prabhsimran Singh is the cousin brother of the 20-year-old Punjab cricketer Anmolpreet Singh. In the same auction, Anmolpreet has been picked up by Mumbai Indians (MI) for INR 80 lakh (base price INR 20 lakh).
While Prabhsimran entered the IPL 2019 Auction with the base price of INR 20 lakh, Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) began his bidding process but KXIP challenged them strongly. Later, Mumbai Indians made another strong challenge but KXIP won that fight at the end.
After observing his youth success, KXIP became desperate to put a large bid for him. The wicketkeeper is going to be one of the must-watch youngsters in the upcoming IPL.
Here are some important facts about Prabhsimran Singh’s cricketing career:
- The 18-year-old Prabhsimran Singh is the right-handed batsman and wicketkeeper.
- Cricketing Idols: MS Dhoni and Adam Gilchrist
- Talking about his youth career, Prabhsimran has played for Punjab U16, Punjab U19, India U19, India U23 (emerging players) etc.
- While Punjab U16 won back-to-back Vijay Merchant trophy (U16) in 2014/15 and 2015/16, Prabhsimran was one of the top players of the team. He was the third leading run-scorer (395 runs) for his team in 2014/15 and second leading run-scorer (496 runs) for his team in 2015/16.
- Punjab U19 finished as the semi-finalist in the 2017/18 Cooch Behar Trophy (U19). Prabhsimran was the leading run-scorer for his team as he scored 547 runs in 13 innings (average 42.08).
- Prabhsimran featured for India U19 during the 2018 ACC U19 Asia Cup in Bangladesh where India U19 won that crown. In that tournament, the wicketkeeper-batsman scored 174 runs in five innings with an average of 43.50.
- During the semi-final of the Punjab U-23 Inter-District Cricket Tournament in this year, the young right-handed batsman played a 298-run knock off 301 balls for Patiala against Amritsar.
- Recently, Prabhsimran featured for India U23 (emerging team) in the 2018 ACC Emerging Teams Cup where Indian Emerging team finished as the runner-up.