On Friday night, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) secured a big 64-run victory in their home game against Rajasthan Royals (RR) at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium (Pune).
The visiting team captain Ajinkya Rahane won the toss and decided to bowl first. Hosts CSK put a big total of 204/5 (20 overs), thanks to Shane Watson’s remarkable century knock.
In reply, RR innings collapsed for just 140 runs in 18.3 overs.
Brief Scores: CSK – 204/5 in 20 overs (Shane Watson 106, Suresh Raina 46, Shreyas Gopal 3/20)
RR – 140 in 18.3 overs (Ben Stokes 45, Jos Buttler 22, Karn Sharma 2/13)
Result – CSK won by 64 runs
Here are some of the statistical highlights of the match:
i) At the end of the match, CSK batsman Suresh Raina has scored 517 runs against RR in IPL career.
- Most runs scored in IPL career by a batsman against RR. Raina surpassed AB de Villiers who has scored 505 IPL runs against RR.
ii) CSK opener Shane Watson completed his century in 51 balls.
- The second slowest IPL century by any batsman against RR. The record is completing an IPL century in 58 balls by Shaun Marsh (Kings XI Punjab) at Mohali on May 28, 2008.
- The second IPL century by any CSK batsman against RR. The first CSK batsman was Murali Vijay at Chennai on April 3, 2010.
- It was the third IPL century for Shane Watson (same as David Warner and AB de Villiers). Only Chris Gayle (6 IPL centuries) and Virat Kohli (4 IPL centuries) are ahead of him.
- Fourth IPL century by any batsman against RR. The other three batsmen were Andrew Symonds (Deccan Chargers), Shaun Marsh (Kings XI Punjab) and Murali Vijay (CSK).
- The sixth IPL century by a CSK batsman. The previous CSK batsmen were Michael Hussey, Murali Vijay (twice), Suresh Raina and Brendon McCullum.
iii) CSK opening batsman Shane Watson scored 106 runs 0ff 57 balls.
- The highest individual score in IPL 2018. The previous record was 104*by Chris Gayle (Kings XI Punjab) against Sunrisers Hyderabad at Mohali on April 19, 2018.
- The second highest IPL knock by a CSK batsman against Rajasthan. The record holder is Murali Vijay with 127 runs knocks at Chennai on April 3, 2010.
iv) CSK batsman Shane Watson hit 6 sixes in that innings.
- Second most no. of sixes hit in IPL innings by a CSK batsman against RR. The record is hitting 11 sixes by Murali Vijay at Chennai on April 3, 2010.
v) CSK scored 204/5 in 20 overs.
- The second highest IPL total for CSK against RR. The record is 246/5 (20 overs) at Chennai on April 3, 2010.
- The second highest IPL total for any team at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium (Pune). The record is 205/4 (20 overs) by Delhi Daredevils against Rising Pune Supergiant on April 11, 2017.
vi) The young leg-spinner Shreyas Gopal had the bowling figure of 4-0-20-3.
- Best IPL bowling figure by an RR spinner against CSK. The previous record holder was Yusuf Pathan with the bowling figure of 4-0-22-3 at Mumbai on June 1, 2018.
vii) RR was bowled out for just 140 in 18.3 overs.
- It was the third-time when CSK bowled out the Royals in IPL innings.
RR faced all-out against CSK in IPL innings
viii) CSK won by 64 runs.
- Largest IPL victory (by runs) for CSK against RR. The previous record was winning by 63 runs at Jaipur on May 9, 2011.
ix) RR lost this game by 64 runs.
- The second largest IPL defeat (by runs) for Royals at Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium (Pune). The largest one was against Royal Challengers Bangalore by 71 runs on May 20, 2015.