India’s star player Prithvi Shaw is all set to return to competitive cricket after the culmination of his suspension period. He was handed a backdated eight-month ban in July which is scheduled to end on November 15. His ban was announced by the BCCI for consuming a cough syrup that had prohibited substance terbutaline. The incident took place during the last edition of the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy which happened earlier this year in February. During the suspension period, he had been practising at the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru.
Milind Rege, former Mumbai captain and the current chairman of the ad-hoc selection committee, has said that Prithvi Shaw will be available for selection for the ongoing Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy after the end of his suspension on November 15th. The Rege-led committee has announced Mumbai’s squad only for three games as Shreyas Iyer, Shivam Dube, and Shardul Thakur are unavailable for the selection for national duty.
“He will be free to play from [November] 16, so of course he will be considered for selection. I can’t make any commitment to whether he will be back, but we will certainly discuss his selection,” said Rege to ESPNCricinfo. He will have to be fit again, There is nobody who can take his place for granted because there are others also. Everybody needs to work for their place in the squad. There are some senior players who have done well last year and even this year but the youngsters are now really knocking hard on the door.”